The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/onlyonefool-ive-been-managing-my-inlaws-28128472.aspx

Subject:  Re: income generating strategies help Date:  11/28/2009  9:42 AM
Author:  bwfisherman Number:  66514 of 75381

Onlyonefool,

I've been managing my inlaws retirement savings for awhile and have found the following mix of closed end funds and MLP's to be fairly stable and having returns above 6% (generally 8 - 10 % ). Plus these are all MONTHLY payouts .

My overall goal was to look at their 5-10 yr history and see fairly "flat" or stable price and continued dividends. I generally break it out into the following :

Core group - MMT , ACG , PPT . These will fluctuate the least and have rebounded nicely from this last crash back to their normal levels. You may see a 10% up and down in principal worst case (outside of crash situations )

Possible upside plus nice return - PBT , GUT , RIT, ERC . These are more focused sectors (oil/gas , Utility and REIT ) once again diversifying and adding some managed risk . I think oil/gas has some upside more that down (PBT). The utilities are fairly stable and take a look at GUT's consistent dividend payout no matter what market. REIT's are at a low so bottom fishing a but this one fund has been very consistent paying out and is on the way up again. ERC is similar to the Core Group above with generally higher payouts but a bit more erratic. I try to pick this up when its discounts is closer to it's historic low to manage the downside .

So I hope this starts you on the right track for researching and picking what feels right to you. Best of luck !

bw
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us