The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Reporting cashed out fractional share Date:  12/22/2009  1:49 AM
Author:  harbor991 Number:  108106 of 127616


I owned 501 shares of SNS which I bought in a single transaction during October 2008 in a taxable account. On 12-19-09 (market closed) SNS initiated a 1:20 reverse stock split resulting in 500 of the shares converting to 25 shares. The remaining 1 fractional share did not convert and was cashed out by the broker.

I plan to report the cashed out 1 share on Schedule D at the closing market price on 12-18-09 before the split, and apply its proportional cost basis from the original purchase to arrive at the long-term capital gain. Is this the correct method to use?


Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us