The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks G / Gaiam, Inc.

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-end-of-year-review-of-gaia-28197375.aspx

Subject:  my end of year review of GAIA Date:  12/31/2009  5:39 PM
Author:  tktrimbath Number:  40 of 43

INTRO Here's my semi-annual exercise to see if I remember why I own the stocks I own, and so I can check back and see if their stories have changed. I post in case it helps others too.

Gaiam
GAIA (market cap $0.175B)
Gaiam is an investment because they have established revenues. They are in, what I consider to be, an attractive growth industry which is enabling alternative, healthier, and sustainable lifestyles. They are a mini-conglomerate because they have a broad-based business that spans from yoga mats to power converters. They are online, mail order, and also in brick and mortar stores via distribution agreements.

I like their prospects as consumers re-evaluate old habits and consider alternatives as they begin spending again.

The company is small, which gives them substantial room for growth, but it also means that they could be overwhelmed by a concerted effort by traditional retailers that successfully decided to compete.

I also like their leverage into solar from their own products and from their large investment in Real Goods Solar (RSOL)

I will continue to hold, and would consider buying more if funds became available.

DISCLOSURE LTBH since 2006, and a RSOL shareholder.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us