The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/edlbym-to-phil-you-thought-the-wording-of-the-28219664.aspx

Subject:  Re: Very basic Roth questions Date:  1/10/2010  9:51 PM
Author:  Wradical Number:  108409 of 121585

(Edlbym, to Phil:) You thought the wording of the question suggested not knowing that?

Yes, that's pretty much the impression I had, too.

Geeez. It's called shorthand.

Doesn't work here. This isn't a chat room. Tax rules are arcane, and precise terminology counts. So does conventional spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Not your problem, but others try our patience at times. We don't grade down for those things here, but you will be asked to explain yourself further if you're not clear.

Example: "the most common being that you're 59 1/2 at the time of the distribution." Guess you thought I never knew that either, guess you didn't notice the phrase "once you are of age" which refers, of course, to that very same thing, but don't let that stop you...you're on a roll!"

Another goofy bit of terminolgy - on your part. "When you are of age" is more commonly used to refer to reaching adulthood - either age 18 or 21, depending on where you are, and what particular laws are referred to. You are the first person I have ever seen use that phrase to refer to 59-1/2.

So lighten up. People who want answers here about taxes need to use normal tax-talk terminology as well as they can, and not make up their own shorthand. We're getting to that time of year when a lot of us who do this stuff for a living, and just hang out here for cheap thrills, and to do some people a favor, don't have a lot of time to waste asking repeat questions, and we can get a little stressed ourselves.

Bill
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us