The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Family Life / Infertility/Fertility Issues

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/we-are-headed-in-this-direction-but-the-odds-28293199.aspx

Subject:  Re: Info requested Date:  2/9/2010  12:00 AM
Author:  Stillaballnchain Number:  2258 of 2281

We are headed in this direction, but the odds don't look very good for us. We've been trying the old fashioned, lesbian way for 6 months (a long-distance version of the turkey baster) with no luck. We have a 12.5-20% chance with IUI and we also won't be able to use our friend as a donor, which isn't what we wanted at all. I'm still not sure I want to do this with an anonymous donor. Plus, I'm 41 and I just read an article on increased autism rates with older maternal age...sigh.

We're also looking into adoption, as there are some states that will let you adopt if you aren't residents, but the thought of writing such a large check makes me gulp really, really, really hard. too much time on the Fool, I guess. The agencies we've contacted don't sound too thrilled at the idea of working with out-of-state lesbians.

We haven't been talking about it too much. It's just a bit too emotional for me to have hanging out there and have it not work. We only just told one of my sisters last week. (She's gossipy, though, so the whole family will know quickly.)

b
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us