The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/telegraph-you-wrote-most-lottery-winning-amounts-28356646.aspx

Subject:  Re: Win the lottery...and keep working? Date:  3/8/2010  9:00 PM
Author:  joelcorley Number:  1357 of 1492

telegraph,

You wrote, Most lottery winning amounts are based upon a 20 year payout. You get even less if you take a 'lump sum'.

If you couldn't retire after 20 years earning $200K/year, I think you must be doing something wrong...

I've already worked 27 years of what I hope will be no more than a 40 year career. During that time I've probably earned less than $2M gross. Even with inflation, I expect to earn probably less than $3M in total. Despite raising a family and dealing with a spendthrift spouse for nearly 20 years, I think I should be able to retire in reasonable comfort with only a portion of that my income saved - mostly in my latter years.

I make pretty good money here, especially since they pay overtime; but if I won the lottery tomorrow (not going to happen since I don't play), I would probably give notice by the end of the week.

- Joel
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us