The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/xmfbuysellbelle-you-wrote-i-had-a-terrible-28356670.aspx

Subject:  Re: Win the lottery...and keep working? Date:  3/8/2010  9:15 PM
Author:  joelcorley Number:  1358 of 1491

XMFBuySellBelle,

You wrote, I had a terrible epiphany the other night--if I won $4 million in the lottery tomorrow, I'd have to keep working. After taxes, that $4 million would become $2 million...and if I were to put all of it in an interest bearing account at today's measly rates (let's just say 2% for the sake of round numbers), that would get me $40,000 per year--not enough to support my partner and me now, let alone in 25 years post-inflation.

If I had $2M or $3M, I doubt I'd stick it all in a savings account - or even in CDs. Even given the recent run (back) up of the bond market, you can still buy corporate bonds or other investment grade fixed income investments that are returning 6% to 8%.

I have a brokerage account that holds only fixed income investments. According to my February 2010 statement, my average current yield was 8.3%. Of course some of the debt might be riskier than what you're willing to buy, but there are still some fair deals available. Also you're risking your principal by buying debt, especially long-dated debt; but if you're sitting on millions, I assume you're prepared to put some of it to use and don't plan to just sit on it all in some bank account.

- Joel
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us