The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-did-not-anticipate-the-massive-increases-in-28362723.aspx

Subject:  Re: Win the lottery...and keep working? Date:  3/11/2010  12:49 AM
Author:  alstroemeria Number:  1363 of 1490

I did not anticipate the massive increases in health insurance costs in those ten years.

Everyone's in a slightly different situation.

I'm anticipating $1,000/month for insurance and $500 for other health expenses (deductibles, co-pays, medicine/medical devices, vision & dental care, OTC stuff, nutritional supplements like fish oil and calcium). This is more than 3x what we're paying for these things now. Health care will be by far our biggest retirement expense.

We're lucky that we can stay in DH's group plan after he retires (because of his age and length of service), but unfortunate in that he won't have worked there nearly long enough to get any premium subsidy and so must pay full freight, kinda like COBRA (he'd have to work to age 68 to even get a partial subsidy...ain't happening). Also, being in South Carolina and having a kinda cheesy policy, full freight is only $752 for a retired couple this year. Given that I'm likely uninsurable, I think this is a fabulous deal.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us