The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/more-low-cost-leisure-activities-28363346.aspx

Subject:  More low-cost leisure activities Date:  3/11/2010  11:12 AM
Author:  alstroemeria Number:  1364 of 1481

I'm sooo late to that thread, I thought I'd start a new one.

Speaking of classes & colleges, many colleges--especially public colleges--offer low-cost and free events ranging from student/faculty/guest recitals/theatre/opera and art exhibits, to movies, lectures, and just a pleasant place to hang out & people-watch or take a walk. (Just thought of college sports--I'm not into sports, but I suspect there may be a ticket charge to help support the teams. But it must be a lot cheaper than professional sports.)

I recently attended the local public college Japan Club's first movie night of the semester, to see one of the best anime ever made. My friend and I enjoyed the discussion following the movie as well as the movie itself. My husband and I recently attended the grand reopening of the college's expanded art center with a fabulous exhibit of a local reclusive artist's collages. All free! Even free snacks at both events.

I would never consider retiring far from a college with interesting, (cheap & free) events that are open to the public. A pretty campus is a plus--some of them have lovely landscaping, botanical gardens, and bike paths. Note that there are often cheap restaurants near a campus.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us