The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/if-the-return-was-e-filed-it-would-bounce-if-irs-28372209.aspx

Subject:  Re: govt retiree credit Date:  3/15/2010  5:31 PM
Author:  lorenzo2 Number:  109603 of 127512

If the return was e-filed it would bounce if IRS records disagreed with Schedule M.

Ha! I'm a VITA ERO, and believe me, I have plenty of experience with returns bouncing because of Schedule M, line 10. By my count, we've had about 15 such rejections so far this year, about three/week. But in this case,

The return was efiled, and it did not bounce.

I told the taxpayer that IRS telephone advice is incorrect about half the time, and suggested he call again, because surely he'd get someone else. Well, he did, and this person said that the credit was denied because Schedule M wasn't attached to his return!

Curious. The return was done with the VITA software, TaxWise. I ran diagnostics and looked at the list of schedules/forms to be sent in electronically. Schedule M is most assuredly there. Of course, I have no way of knowing what was actually transmitted in the efile.

So I guess it's time to do an amended return. But the question now is, how to you amend a correct return?

Lorenzo
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us