The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Kiddie Tax/Long Term Capital Gains Date:  3/19/2010  4:16 PM
Author:  ORA100 Number:  109656 of 127528

My son has a Minor Account which he has had for several years. He will be starting College soon so I am thinking about selling it and putting the money in a more conservative invetment. When I sell it the long Term Capital Gains will be about $6300. He has no earned income. If I were to sell it he would get the standard deduction of $950 (for 2009 at least) and then he would have to pay long term capital gains of $5350. I think I would then have to file Form 8615 - is that right? Would the rate on the long term capital gains be dependent on what my(parents rate) is? If out taxable income was in the 25% bracket then would they be taxed at the rate of 15%? If we were in the 15% bracket would they be 0%?
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us