The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/a-final-followup-to-this-thread-recall-that-i-28394105.aspx

Subject:  Re: govt retiree credit Date:  3/24/2010  9:45 PM
Author:  lorenzo2 Number:  109780 of 127533

A final followup to this thread. Recall that I prepared and efiled a return for a friend with earned income, whose AGI is too high for the Making Work Pay credit. But he is a govt retiree, and should get the $250 Govt Retiree credit. I efiled return and it was accepted. When he got his refund, it was $250 short, and he was subsequently advised that the Schedule M credit had been removed. I suggested he call to inquire, and he did.

- First IRS person said he didn't qualify, income too high. That's clearly wrong: there's no income limit on Govt Retiree credit. I suggested he call again, as IRS phone advice is sometimes incorrect.

- Second IRS person said credit was removed because there was no Schedule M with the return. I was a bit skeptical about that, as the software (TaxWise) certainly showed that Schedule M was part of the efile. But never mind, no point in arguing, so I prepared an amended return to be sent in.

- Just for fun, my friend called the IRS a third time about the removal of the credit. And IRS person number three said that shouldn't have happened. Schedule M was part of the return after all, she would fix everything up, and the missing $250 would be sent along shortly. No amendment needed.

I don't know if that's the end of it or not, but it looks promising. It's a bit bothersome that *three* errors were made here: deleting the credit in the first place, the bum advice from IRS lady #1, and the wrong explanation from IRS lady #2.

Lorenzo
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us