The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltltquothow-many-nazi-references-did-i-see-28405040.aspx

Subject:  Re: Paying For Obamacare Date:  3/29/2010  6:22 PM
Author:  SeattlePioneer Number:  23748 of 59776

<<"How many Nazi references did I see about George Bush during his Presidency?'

That wasn't debate back then either.

Besides, most people learn in grade school that two wrongs do not make a right. >>

Well, you are certainly entitled to have higher standards for political debate if you wish. I'm simply trying to define where I think the outer limits for acceptable political discussion may be.

Name calling and such is widely practiced in the political arena by left and right, in my experience. So are references to the Nazis ---in an earlier era one may have made references to The Devil.

It seems to me that those outer limits involve, or ought to involve, actual threats, violence, harassment, intimidation or efforts to incuite those kinds of behaviors.

As I noted earlier, even these standards are violated often enough by the left and right. At present the right is inciting acts of violence in objectionable ways, and at other times the left is often tolerant of their "non violent disobedience" which is intended to harass and disrupt the peace of the community and the right of innocent people to go about their daily business.

Seattle Pioneer
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us