The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/there-are-many-thousands-if-not-tens-of-thousands-28426551.aspx

Subject:  Re: Consolidation Date:  4/8/2010  12:06 PM
Author:  TwoCybers Number:  66941 of 75377

There are many thousands if not tens of thousands of people who will be happy to mess with your funds for 2% of the total. You might want to talk with friends in your area. We found an outfit here in Atlanta that works for less than 1% and has done pretty darn good - up 10% from our totals in June 2008.

If is easy to move all your stuff, except the life insurance to one brokerage company. The amount of hand holding and communication you get depends on who you work with. I have tried this with two different big name brokerage houses - not happy with either.

My advice is ask for names of people who have been with the prospective manager for over a couple of years. If they will not provide names and phone numbers, tell them to call back when they have customers who are satisfied.

I am biased here, but the one bunch of people who I would never consider is a brokerage bunch associated with or owned by a bank. So if you are looking at somebody named Robinson Humphrey, check - they might be the brokerage arm of a bank.

Gordon
Atlanta
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us