The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Company-funded profit sharing retirement acc Date:  4/13/2010  7:07 PM
Author:  aj485 Number:  66948 of 88520

If you left this year you could roll it into what has been called a conduit IRA and leave it there without incurring any tax liability.

Only if the profit sharing plan is a "Qualified" plan. The OP did not indicate if it was a "Qualified" plan or not.

Under the 2010 rules you would then be able to move it into a Roth IRA.

Actually, you have been able to move directly into a Roth IRA from a Qualified plan since 2008. You don't have to use a conduit IRA.

You will have to pay taxes on the amount you roll over, but under a special provision for 2010 you could spread out the taxes over a two year period in 2011 and 2012.

Close, but not exactly.

For conversions made in 2010 only, you can choose to split the income generated by the conversion over 2 years - 2011 and 2012. You would then pay taxes on the additional income for 2011/2012 at the 2011/2012 income tax rates. Since the Bush tax rate cuts for the higher brackets are due to expire at the end of 2010, if there is a significant amount converted, this may not be a trivial difference.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us