The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/tax-implication-of-roth-conversion-28447869.aspx

Subject:  Tax implication of roth conversion Date:  4/17/2010  8:56 PM
Author:  jmbooth2000 Number:  66961 of 75776

All,

I'm looking into the possibility of converting a IRA to a ROTH IRA this year. At first glance this seemed like a good idea (I expect to be in a equal tax bracket in retirement and I'm betting tax rates will rise). I ran one of the calculators and sure enough it showed that I would be ahead by a small amount even if tax rates remained the same.

The problem is when I looked at my tax return I realized that I'm already loosing part of the Child Tax credit (I have 2 children which equals 2000 but as my AGI was just over 112000 I lost 150 of this credit). If I'm reading things correctly the ROTH conversion essentially counts as additional income so I will loose even more of the child tax credit. In order to make an accurate choice I need to take into account the lost child tax credit.

I guess my question is are there any other credits I should be aware of that I might be in danger of loosing and has anyone seen a spreadsheet / calculator that takes the tax implications into account?

I may choose to do the conversion anyway on the basis that I suspect taxes will rise and even if I stay in the same bracket I'll be worse off.

Thanks
Jonathan
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us