The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Bonds & Fixed Income Investments

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/charlie-you-stated-earlier-that-you-have-around-28501395.aspx

Subject:  Re: Yesterday’s Damage? None to Bonds Date:  5/10/2010  10:12 AM
Author:  Beerio Number:  30793 of 35392

Charlie,

You stated earlier that you have around 45 positions in an account of just 65k. If you're actively trading in that account I find it hard to believe you're doing very well - the transaction costs for trading such small amounts of bonds are very substantial. I would reconsider your portfolio approach, you might do better simply buying a mutual fund as the costs would be substantially less and you could still maintain the right diversification within your bond portfolio.

Obviously you're confident in your bond picking abilities, so maybe leave half of your money in a discretionary account and trade with that. If you're really confident you can take far fewer positions and still make at least as much money without transaction costs crushing your returns.

The professionals love retail traders - they'll charge you points for every trade and make a killing. I know, I've done it.

Jon
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us