The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Industry Discussions / Renewable Energy

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-new-furnace-has-an-air-circulation-mode-that-i-28520620.aspx

Subject:  Re: home-based wind turbines Date:  5/19/2010  9:23 AM
Author:  DDHv Number:  17529 of 18403

My new furnace has an air circulation mode that I plan to try out during the summer to mix the basement air with the main floor air.

Many air furnaces have a button that turns on the fan without the heat. By opening the furnace base to basement air, it can be brought up into the house. We started thus. When it worked, we went to fans specific for circulation, using the hallways for ducting. For the attic, we are working on liquid circulation, with used baseboard heating tubes for the attic, and PEX underground.

Very spare time work, which keeps the cost down. On the other hand, opening a panel on the furnace, and pushing a button is about as cheap as you can get. It is a good idea to use a dehumidifier in the basement.

There are at least two heat pump DHwater heaters that take the humidity out of the basement air at the same time as heating the water. Up front cost is high, but running cost is low.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us