The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-have-to-admit-i-dont-understand-what-follows-28522183.aspx

Subject:  Re: A Pox on Turbo Tax Date:  5/19/2010  8:33 PM
Author:  vkg Number:  110460 of 120801

I have to admit I don't understand what follows. <g>

I was on the phone today with TT for three+ hours. It seems that they neglected to report that they deducted Medicare payments under SS and everyone who included it with their medical insurance payments have to amend their tax returns and of course pay more $$$. That be me.

Who neglected to report? Medicare B and/or Medicare D payments are deductible as medical insurance. So, I don't understand what your problem was. Perhaps, you forgot to use the numbers reported to you on Form SSA-1099 when you prepared your return?

A possible translation, Turbo Tax asked for the Medicare payments when the SSA-1099 was entered and automatically included them as a medical insurance payment. Not realizing they were already included in the medical insurance payments, the OP entered the Medicare payments again as a medical deduction.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us