The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Bonds & Fixed Income Investments

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/sorry-for-the-abusive-use-of-copy-and-paste-but-i-28526027.aspx

Subject:  Re: The Goal of Bond-Investing Date:  5/21/2010  1:33 PM
Author:  Prophet43M Number:  30884 of 35400

Sorry for the abusive use of copy and paste but I believe Jack's post is so good that it bears repeating.

Jack said......

"Individual bonds tend to be safer than individual stocks. A poorly purchased bond will do less damage then a poorly purchased stock. A prudently purchased bond will add less than a prudently purchased stock. Individual stocks tend to be more volatile than individual bonds.

I state the above because there is often this bad idea pitched that sounds an awful lot like "bonds are safe" or "holding some bonds makes my portfolio safer". Neither statement is true. A 60/40 balance of poorly purchased assets purchased at poor prices is a crappy portfolio destined to damage the wealth of the holder. A 80/20 or 20/80 portfolio of high quality assets purchased at good prices is a good portfolio and will increase the odds of a the holder increasing their wealth.

If safety is the priority then you need to buy "safe" assets at "safe" prices. Buying safe assets at risky prices decreases your safety. None of the above completely protects you from short term manic moments that can and will hit both stocks and bonds."

Jack:

Fantastic post. I'm going to print your post and pin it up on the wall in my home office were I perform my investment research.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us