The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/yep-you-are-understanding-what-im-doing-i-am-28667854.aspx

Subject:  Re: Put income and capital gains Date:  7/30/2010  11:19 AM
Author:  caburke37 Number:  110766 of 121341

Yep, you are understanding what Im doing. I am glad you do not see a serious tax penalty with this type of trading. I think the reason I did not ask about the issue of getting put shares of a company that just went into the toilet was that I had considered it and decided I was going to accept the risk.

This is by no means because I think I can time or outsmart the market or investors who actually know what they are doing, but because I presently have a good income but that will change soon. Due to my age I dont have 40 years of compounding to prepare for my retirement. I have to catch up. I have to take some risk.

The BP fiasco is a perfect example of what you are talking about. I think the only thing I can do to lower my risk while using puts and calls this way is to continue to invest in solid companies and in several different companies at a time, instead of only one or two.

Thanks for your input.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us