The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/nothing-magic-about-8-nwai-but-i-have-seen-this-28685094.aspx

Subject:  Re: FIRE mid-year update 2010 Date:  8/7/2010  12:19 PM
Author:  whyohwhyoh Number:  4888 of 5069

Nothing magic about 8 NW/AI, but I have seen this number mentioned several times in the past as an FI number (not necessarily FIRE). And yes this just represents a particular amount that would make me feel comfortable to pause from the workforce.

I am thinking we can live comfortably at a 50% paycut (after downsizing), so our number would be 16 NW/AE (annual expenses). And again, we may just continue on and not pause from the workforce, but it is nice to at least feel like one has the option, and not feel stuck.

And concerning France or Europe in general, I'd likely rent not buy to be more mobile. We have dual US/French citizenship, and my children speak French, so it would be natural for us to take a few years off there. My French is poor, and they have near zero jobs in my line of experience, so it would be tough to find a good paying job there.

--
whyohwhyoh
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us