The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/do-you-have-a-401k-with-your-current-company-28692335.aspx

Subject:  Re: MLPs in IRAs Date:  8/10/2010  10:00 PM
Author:  TMFBreakerRob Number:  110857 of 121429

Do you have a 401(k) with your current company? Retiring (ending service with your company) in or after the year you turn 55 would allow you to withdraw money from your 401(k) without penalty or having to take 72(t)/SEPP withdrawals. Assuming that you don't have your 401(k) invested in MLPs, you could use that the bridge to 59 1/2 without disturbing MLP investments in either your IRA or your taxable accounts. -- AJ

Now *that's* an interesting idea!

Yes, I have a 401k also, about 30% of our savings. I've shifted money from an assortment of "allowed" mutual funds to 100% company stock over the last year and a half. Yes, I know that is considered very poor form, but I happen to be in a position where I felt pretty confident that the stock would do pretty well and it has: Ford Motor.

Once it became apparent that GM wasn't going to stop building cars (and buying parts from suppliers), I was confident the industry wasn't going to implode, so I started loading up as things became clearer. Probably made the final purchases somewhere around $7 or so.

Anyway....that part is irrelevant other than to say I expect some additional significant upside over the next year...but would still be willing to use some of that money for withdrawals if that can be done without penalty.

Would you suppose the administrator of the 401k plan would be familiar with whatever needs to be done to withdraw money without penalty prior to 59 1/2? And no five year commitment on withdrawals? (I imagine yes, but is there a specific "magic term or phrase" that would make it clear to them what I wanted to do?).

Thanks muchly!

Rob
RB Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us