The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-wife-has-taken-over-many-administrative-28703856.aspx

Subject:  Re: Payroll Issue - Non Profit Date:  8/16/2010  3:31 PM
Author:  irasmilo Number:  110896 of 121114

My wife has taken over many administrative functions for a small nonprofit organization. Currently Quicken Books for Non-Profit is being used to track finances. This organization has total income under $100,000 per year. The organization is going to hire two part time people since the founder/director has developed health issues. Intuit wants $200 per year for the payroll addition to Quickbooks for Non-Profit. This amount is more than the organization wants to pay. What are the alternatives?

A quick search turned up Payroll Mate which sells for $99. I have no experience with the product, so I can't comment on its suitability for the organization's needs.

From my perspective, $200 isn't much to pay for a payroll package. Withholding tables and unemployment insurance, workers' comp, disability insurance rates change frequently and you want a solution that will be revised whenever things change. A good payroll package will also simplify the prepartation of any payroll tax returns.

Ira
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us