The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Bonds & Fixed Income Investments

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-still-like-gov-this-is-a-master-limited-28772857.aspx

Subject:  Re: The Alternatives to PenFed's CD? Date:  9/19/2010  4:15 PM
Author:  Crosenfield Number:  31498 of 35400

I still like GOV. This is a master limited partnership that invests in office space which is rented to government agencies. They recently had a secondary offering, and the price dropped. Normally a secondary offerint is dilutive, and therefore bad. What they did with the proceeds was buy more office space, which they figure they will rent out easily enough. They also increased the dividend by 1c quarterly.

The biggest disadvantage I see is the paperwork that must be done at tax time. You get a K-1, and if you aren't used to handling those things it can be daunting. Actually if you do taxes using computer software, there shouldn't really be a problem, as with K-1s come instructions. Probably the cash flow, or most of it, will be tax-deferred, but since this is a relatively new issue there isn't a history to see what the depreciation write-offs turn out to be.

Best wishes, Chris
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us