The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Bonds & Fixed Income Investments

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/wow-you-are-really-tying-yourself-in-knots-to-28773141.aspx

Subject:  Re: The Alternatives to PenFed's CD? Date:  9/19/2010  7:54 PM
Author:  brewer12345 Number:  31504 of 35361

Wow, you are really tying yourself in knots to justify anything but the CDs. I think you pretty clearly answered the question you asked (On a risk-adjusted basis, can I do better with the money elsewhere?), because although you do not seem to want to admit it is a resounding "No."

We are talking about a 10 year CD with principal guaranteed by the feddle gubmint, a well above market coupon, and an embedded put option (put the CD to Pen Fed at par for a 4.89% penalty). Say what you like about boring and unsexy, but given the range of alternatives you presented I do not see anything of a similar risk profile that is anywhere near as attractive. CA munis? That is a far cry from something backed by uncle sam. Equities? They certainly look attractive e, but they are not even in the same county as a CD, let alone in the same neighborhood.

If you don't want to buy a CD, knock yourself out. Personally, I recently liquidated a bunch of Agency MBS to jump into this CD because it is quite clearly a superior investment.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us