The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/be-no-more-than-a-days-drive-away-from-nycbut-28786806.aspx

Subject:  Re: What's up? Date:  9/26/2010  1:21 PM
Author:  alstroemeria Number:  1379 of 1490

be no more than a day's drive away from NYC...but I would pay money to stay out of the NYC area.

For me, a day's drive is too far from grandchildren (I saw my own maternal grandparents almost every weekend in childhood). Anyhow, I already can't drive all day, even half a day as a passenger is hard--I get stiff joints from sitting that long, plus it's bad for my back. And I prefer to be within a few hours by train or bus in case driving becomes too difficult sooner rather than later. I'd consider living within the city itself if I can afford it--I'm very comfortable in NYC, in which I spent a lot of time in childhood and especially high school. And it's not like I'd never see nature. NY has botanical gardens within city limits as well as Central Park and Prospect Park, beaches, all that waterfront (DD lives 5 minutes from Central Park, where I expect I'd take my grandchild for fresh air and running around). Plus DH & I go RVing every year to national & state parks and other beautiful areas. AS an extra-special bonus, I'd get to see my son in Eastern MA much more often.

Unlike lots of oldsters visiting children & grandchildren in the burbs and staying in a guest room, I won't be able to stay long at each visit as DD lives in a small city condo--I'll be sleeping on am inflatable mattress taking up substantial space in their small living room. So, more frequent, shorter visits will be the order of the day.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us