The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/have-a-peaceful-drive-back-to-charleston-when-the-28788275.aspx

Subject:  Re: What's up? Date:  9/27/2010  12:07 PM
Author:  alstroemeria Number:  1381 of 1492

Have a peaceful drive back to Charleston when the tiem comes.

Thanks, Howie, but I won't be driving to/from NYC from Charleston SC. The only time I do that is when we're RVing and take a long time for the trip, stopping and camping camping in several places for a few days or even a week each, en route. But until DH retires from teaching, we can only do that in summer.

So although I'm a nervous flyer, I'll be going by air. I'm visiting DD for 10 days in November (while my son-in-law is out of town and my daughter will be 7 1/2 months pregnant). Then taking a bus or train to Boston to visit my son and his GF for another 10 days, including Thanksgiving. My husband will fly up to join us when he gets his Thanksgiving break, and we'll fly home together.

Life seems more complicated when you live far from loved ones. If we lived, say, in the middle of the CT coast, an easy drive or train ride would take us quickly to the kids (and vice versa), making more frequent, shorter visits so easy--easy enough to do Saturday night babysitting, for example, like my own grandparents used to do. (We didn't have a big house either--for years my Nana slept with me in my single bed when they slept over--and my brothers shared a bed and gave gramps one of their beds. Gosh, this sounds like something out of early 20th century immigrant literature! But then, 3 of my 4 grandparents WERE early 20th century immigrants ;-)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us