The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/trmccoy-i-agree-with-all-the-replies-you-have-28812803.aspx

Subject:  Re: Retirement Invsetment by Proxy Date:  10/9/2010  11:08 PM
Author:  billnewport Number:  67585 of 75826

Trmccoy
I agree with all the replies you have received. Motley Fool is a great place to get educated about investing. I also suggest you look into the American Association of Individual Investors, whose mission is investment education to facilitate beginning investors gaining confidence in managing their own portfolios. The annual membership fees are modest and they have a wealth of info on all aspects of investing.

As others have posted, your first step should be to write down your specific investing goals and decide on a portfolio strategy which fits your risk profile From what you have described it sounds as though you will have two portfolios to assemble. Go slow and be patient. For each stock or fund in the present portfolio ask yourself whether it fits the goals for the portfolio and whether you would buy it today. The temptation will be to rush through this process so you can check it off your to do list. Resist this temptation. Don't make radical changes until you are confident that you understand why each change is beneficial to the portfolio.

Bill
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us