The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quoti-dont-understand-how-a-person-can-reach-28813846.aspx

Subject:  Re: Is health care a right? Date:  10/10/2010  8:46 PM
Author:  ariechert Number:  533508 of 726547

"I don't understand how a person can reach adulthood without understanding basic concepts. People come together and agree upon what property rights are. In 1500, tribes came together and defined property rights in a very different way than we define them." - jgc123

I'll never forget the time I saw a video of Jane Goodall's Gombe Stream chimps going on patrol. A group of 5 large male chimps got it into their head that they were going to war and patrol the border of their territory. They were going to war. They came upon a lone young male chimp from a neighboring tribe on the fringes of their territory and jumped him and bit him and beat him till he was almost dead. The narrator of the video said he was sure that the young chimp crawled off in the bushes and died.

Might makes right. Whoever has the strongest army gets the territory. Without government we'd be just a bunch of small family tribes trying to defend our little patches of land. That is exactly what happens in primitive cultures to this day. The Yanomamo of the Amazon rain forest feel they've been slighted by their neighbors for some reason and they take their bows and arrows and go turn one of their neighbors into a pin cushion. The same thing happens in the highlands of New Guinea. They are in a constant state of war with their neighbors over their sweet potato patches and pig pens - accusing their neighbors of stealing one of their pigs.

Art
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us