The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quotdoes-that-mean-you-have-a-quotrightquot-28815335.aspx

Subject:  Re: Is health care a right? Date:  10/11/2010  3:57 PM
Author:  ariechert Number:  533611 of 746024

"Does that mean you have a "right" to that treatment? Perhaps not. But that doesn't change that you will get treatment. Since you will get treatment, rather than getting tripped up over the semantics of whether that treatment is a "right" we should focus on how to make that treatment (and other necessary health care) as efficient and cost-effective as possible." - MotleyFooley

The Federal government limits my access to health care. Their interference keeps me from being able to go to the pharmacy and buying any kind of pain relief, antibiotic, chemotherapy, etc. I want. Not only that but their intereference in who can and who can't become a doctor limits my access to doctors. If there weren't so much intereference through regulation and accreditation there would be a whole lot more doctors and I would have much more choice and going to a doctor would be much cheaper.

Humans feel pain, they have emotions and feelings and are biological creatures not machines. You can park a car if you can't afford to fix it, not so with the human body. You either fix it or die. If you are in excruciating pain and need medicine you need some kind of analgesic or antibiotic, etc. or you will die.

There is no comparison between fixing a car and fixing a human. Cars don't feel pain. If a car dies the grief or pain of separation is short or temporary. Not so with a human being. Losing someone we love is the worst experience of separation that there is. Nothing else comes close. Fifty years later you can still be mourning the loss of your mother, brother, sister, father, wife, etc.

Art
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us