The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quotdo-you-live-in-a-tepee-more-power-to-you-28815504.aspx

Subject:  Re: Is health care a right? Date:  10/11/2010  5:04 PM
Author:  ariechert Number:  533621 of 757015

"Do you live in a tepee? More power to you; I just cannot imagine living on that monthly amount. I am a retired doctor, so I must be spoiled." - missah

My wife teaches at Belmont University. I mooch off her. I pay for stuff like food, gas, car insurance, tires, etc. dentist bills, doctor co-pays and deductibles, pharmacy stuff like simvastatin and lisinopril, etc. I get enough money to where I don't need to ask her for money for gas, but that is about it.

I told her when we moved her to be close to her parents that I didn't want to start over. I was 54 years old and have arthritis in my hips and back and the idea of trying to start over was terrifying. After being laid off at the UT Vet School after working there for 17 years I tried teaching and almost had an anxiety attack or nervous breakdown. I was a disaster as a teacher. I completely lacked control and my students took over the classroom. It was horrifying.

My boss at the Vet School told me she was running out of money but I'm thinking that it more had to do with my arthritis and she saw that I was wearing out. It was a sneaky way to not be responsible for someone who had gotten worn out from lifting incubators and freezers and dogs and cats, etc. When I was told I was being laid off I thought it would be an easy thing to transition to teaching but I was wrong.

After failing miserably at teaching I just gave up. I told my wife I didn't want to work anymore. She doesn't care because it doesn't really cost her anything to keep me around and she has someone to run errands for her, do the dishes, cook, go grocery shopping, vacuum, etc.

Okay, I'll stifle myself.

Artie
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us