The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ariechert-quotif-there-werent-so-much-28816658.aspx

Subject:  Re: Is health care a right? Date:  10/12/2010  10:17 AM
Author:  MotleyFooley Number:  533701 of 741858

ariechert: "If there weren't so much intereference through regulation and accreditation there would be a whole lot more doctors and I would have much more choice and going to a doctor would be much cheaper."

You may be right. However, I would think that, other things being equal, you'd want to go to a doctor who has been accredited by a school with proper training, and certified that they at least know technical information about the human body (even if they don't have an appropriate bedside manner), compared to an "open market" where any quack can tout his "miracle cure" to the most vulnerable. The government does the same thing with lots of professions - like engineers, so that the bridge you're riding across to get to the doctor's office doesn't collapse. That doesn't mean there are no quacks or incompetent professionals. But some accreditation (regulation) of those kinds of things can be a good thing.

As you note, there is tremendous pain when we lose loved ones. Poor medical facilities, complications, lack of knowledgeable staff, etc., can all play a role. I'd certainly feel more comfortable hiring a board-certified, highly-trained and regulated physician than have to "comparison shop" to find a physician with a medical school diploma before they treat my mom while she's in excruciating pain. "I know it hurts, but this guy has a big ad in the Yellow Pages, ma -- lemme just make one more call and ask him if he went to Harvard or Hollywood Upstairs Medical School......."

I agree that some red tape, and other things could be reduced. And I suppose that there are some people who want to pay $1000 less for an appendectomy done by a DVM versus an MD (I'm not one of them; I doubt you are either). Further, even if the government didn't "regulate" the medical profession, you can be assured that other entities would come into being to perform the same function, perhaps with profit motives or other things that might not be in your best interest. The amount and form of regulation should be scrutinized. But in my view, regulation, in and of itself, is not necessarily a bad thing.

MotleyFooley
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us