The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/lindytoes-youre-welcome-youre-welcome-youre-28817847.aspx

Subject:  Re: Is health care a right? Date:  10/12/2010  5:12 PM
Author:  MotleyFooley Number:  533776 of 757654

lindytoes - You're welcome you're welcome you're welcome!

Much of what I see on the Boards these days is, unfortunately, emphasizing the extremes. I don't see as many far-left as appears to my eye as far-right, but there are quite a few who favor "small government" and similar notions.

A more sensible notion to me would be "better" government. Sometimes small is better, sometimes large is necessary. We need to be more judicious about the red-tape and regulation you mentioned, and keep the 80/20 rule in mind, namely let's regulate things so that we catch/prevent/improve the vast majority of the issues. We would be naive to think we can catch *all* the problems, and do so in a reasonable way without huge amounts of bureaucratic paperwork and inefficiency at which point the bad apples would find loopholes around anyway.

The doctor examples you cited still went through medical school and may have been "certified" to provide good care. Even they would be the "exception" in a world where anyone could call themselves a "doctor" and "treat" those who are sick using bathtub tonics and tinctures they make at home, some of which might do more harm than good.

But no one wants to talk about "better" government and say that sometimes small is better, and sometimes large is better because the sound bite played in the opposing camp would be that Politician X advocates "big" government or wants to "take away" your big government program. It's frustrating that what drives TV ratings and conversations isn't the 80% I think the people of this country agree upon but the 20% we don't. Or am *I* the one being naive?

MotleyFooley
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us