The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/im-not-sure-if-the-analogy-of-a-right-to-28819603.aspx

Subject:  Re: Is health care a right? Date:  10/13/2010  1:41 PM
Author:  wburble Number:  533854 of 753208

I'm not sure if the analogy of a right to healthcare with a right to legal counsel really holds, because there is a clear textual basis for the right to legal counsel in the U.S. Constitution, I believe the 6th Amendment. Of course the Supreme Court had to interpret that to require government to pay for legal aid for the poor.

The implication of this analogy is that if there is a right to health care similar to the right to legal counsel, then government should set up free medical clinics for the poor. I believe Medicaid already covers this, and obviously a right to health care, of whatever minimal level, if it exists, doesn't imply the right of government to completely take over the private health care and health insurance areas.

Another way of looking at it is to examine the kind of free health care that incarcerated felons get. That's government provided health care, provided as of legally determined right to it (pursuant to various court cases). It seems to me that the general populace who cannot afford their own health care has a reasonable argument that the government should provide it to them at at least the level that convicts get while in jail.

I think the government should set up health clinics for the general public that are attached to prisons. Anyone who wants free medical care and financially qualifies for it can get their needs taken care of at the local jail. This would be very efficient because quite often they will be visiting their baby daddies, mommas, and other assorted convicted relatives from time to time anyway. Killing two birds with one stone, you might say.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us