The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/society-is-not-a-living-breathing-being-true-but-28820367.aspx

Subject:  Re: Is health care a right? Date:  10/13/2010  6:24 PM
Author:  wburble Number:  533898 of 734383

Society is not a living breathing being.

True but completely irrelevant. Organizations and groups of people can be thought of as having goals/objectives/obligations. The entire purpose of organization in a society or otherwise is to further a common objective or set of objectives. The fact that there may be differences of opinion about those common objectives does not change the fact that pursuing common objectives of some kind is the purpose of an organized society.

But since you think of yourself as a member of society, I take it that you are personally providing on a regular basis a minimal level of food and clothing to poor folk?

Of course I am, since I pay taxes, and obviously a portion of my taxes are being used by society to feed and clothe the poor.

And sending in extra money to your god, government, so that it can do it as well? After all, you ARE obligated right?

So do you. You pay taxes (if you earn income and adhere to applicable income taxation laws.)

You need to learn how to analyze and argue logically not simply treat everything as some kind of an attack on your perceived notions.

I'm not sure why you're taking issue with the basic notion that there is some minimal level of services government should provide to those who do not have the ability to do for themselves. Even if you completely disagree with this it's the way it is and none of your foot stamping is going to change that.

You can, if you like, fume on the Internet all day long and try to make the argument that no, prisons should not provide any government-paid-for basic food, clothing, and medical care to incarcerated felons. I never said government should or shouldn't, I said it DOES, and if it DOES provide these things to incarcerated felons, a logical argument probably CAN be made that NON felons who cannot afford to do so for themselves, should have an opportunity to receive at least that level of services as well. (I didn't actually MAKE the argument, I simply suggested that it could be made.)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us