The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/congress-voted-to-appropriate-20000-for-victims-28822814.aspx

Subject:  Re: Is health care a right? Date:  10/14/2010  5:48 PM
Author:  JoshRandall Number:  534076 of 746084

Congress voted to appropriate $20,000 for victims who had their homes destroyed. Davy Crockett voted for it but was scolded by one of his constituents (Horatio Bunce) for using other people’s money as charity. He challenged Crockett to find where in the constitution Congress was allowed to do this and Crockett admitted he could not find it. Crocket said:
“Mr. Speaker, I have as much…sympathy as…any man in the House, but Congress has no power to appropriate money [for] charity. Every member upon this floor knows it. We have the right, as individuals, to give away as much of our own money as we please in charity; but as members of Congress we have no right to appropriate a dollar of public money….Mr. Speaker, I have said we have the right to give as much money of our own as we please. I am the poorest man on this floor. I cannot vote for this bill, but I will give one week’s pay to the object, and if every member of Congress will do the same, it will amount to more than the bill asks.” The bill was defeated, but none of the Congressmen took Crockett up on his offer.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us