The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Wealth Creation Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/investment-ideas-for-discretionary-funds-28847854.aspx

Subject:  Investment ideas for discretionary funds? Date:  10/26/2010  8:00 PM
Author:  JulieCas Number:  57 of 72

Not sure this belongs on this board, but I like the title of "Wealth Creation Strategies" so I'm going with it . . .

I'm 40 years old, single, no children. Every year I max out my 401k contribution and IRA contribution. I have 6 months of emergency funds saved. I have no debt aside from my mortgage, which I just refinanced to a 20-yr FRM at 4.625%

I live enough below my means that I still have a little money each month that I could invest. This will grow as my earning power increases. I need some ideas as to how to use this discretionary money wisely. I'd like to put it to work. Some options:

1. Accelerate my mortgage payments. There would be psychic satisfaction in that, but it's perhaps not the fiscally intelligent move. I suppose I can earn more with the extra cash than I would save in interest payments.

2. Short term savings for near term extras (trips, the car I'll have to replace in a year or 2). Recommendations would be appreciated. Anything likely to get me more than 4.625%?

3. Longer term investments to append my retirement savings. Again, recommendations for vehicles that could outperform 4.625% return.

4. Other?

Thanks for the input.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us