The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/gtgt-i-am-looking-at-purchasing-some-precious-28868065.aspx

Subject:  Re: Precious Metals Investing Date:  11/4/2010  11:21 AM
Author:  ziggy29 Number:  67671 of 75340

>> I am looking at purchasing some precious metals within my retirement account. Would it be better to buy physical gold or silver or make the investment through ETF? <<

Depends. As a diversified portion of a portfolio if you don't think we're headed for a Mad Max situation, the ETF would be better as there are no storage or insurance costs or issues to consider, plus the liquidity and bid/ask spreads are tighter.

If you are looking at gold and silver as a hedge against apocalypse and the breakdown of civil society, there would be no substitute for physically holding the metal as the security of "paper assets" would be highly unknown.

By the way, if you own physical precious metals in an IRA, it MUST be physically held by a custodian for your benefit. (You own it but they hold it for you.) You are not allowed to have the bullion in your possession if it's in a qualified retirement account.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us