The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/iirc-the-last-diatribe-i-read-on-gold-tagged-the-28900254.aspx

Subject:  Re: Precious Metals Investing Date:  11/18/2010  12:35 AM
Author:  DrTarr Number:  67727 of 77331

IIRC the last diatribe I read on gold tagged the inflation adjusted mean price of gold @ $456... I will see if I can dig that up again, but the point is this, in any days dollars the "average price" of gold would be $456 dollars an ounce. Right now, people are paying almost three times that.

And what makes you think it is worth it? If it looks like a bubble, smells like a bubble and pops like a bubble.. maybe it is a bubble.

OK - I don't have a crystal ball, it could go higher.. But it seems that most of the commodities of this type are a mean reverting animal. There are a plausible scenarios, gold demand by investors is up due to ETF's, central banks may seek to store value in gold, and all other sources of demand increase but I guess i am just an old stick in the mud and I dont think in the long run any of these are going to support the levels we are starting to see.

The doctor has been wrong before and I will be wrong again, but the end of 2011 is when I see gold coming back down.
Copyright 1996-2015 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us