The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / CANSLIM Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/canslim-track-records-28923350.aspx

Subject:  CANSLIM track records? Date:  11/30/2010  5:07 AM
Author:  ibuildthings Number:  22991 of 23026

I read a couple of O'Neill's books. I followed the 8% sell rule, sometimes to my benefit, other times to miss out on monster winners. This takes a lot of work, and there always seems to be a reason "you should have... you shouldn't have ..." when the investment goes sour or you miss a good run.

SO: Who can point me to William O'Neill's trading records, or perhaps the trading records of well-recognized CANSLIM investors? The best I can come up with is the mutual fund CANGX. You can see their track record in the chart of the value of their fund.

I can see that buy and hold is only good when you bought a good company and its good luck held up. My experience of the Fool is that they will ride a stock down and (hopefully) back up, but by the time a reason to sell comes out, the price has gone way down. The people with weeks of research and/or rooms full of research and analysis staff can ferret out a company's worth as part of their day job. Most of us have other day jobs and try to get rich while others are sleeping. So the theory of technical analysis is that the people with huge research staffs have enough money to move the price of the stock when they trade, and only after those trades are done do you find out why they bought/sold.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us