The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: IRA for post 65 yr olds Date:  12/6/2010  10:49 AM
Author:  TwoCybers Number:  67793 of 88421

You avoided income tax on the money in your IRAs when you put it in. Tax has to be paid when it is taken out.

You talk about gains on APPL, etc. If these gains are in an IRA, you can sell those stocks and invest in others things within your IRA. Just about any bank or brokerage will be happy to "help" you. I suggest brokerages like Schwab or Vanguard - but others will have different recommendations.

Since you say you need funds from your IRA, I am going to assume you plan on spending this money in retirement as opposed to gifting it after your death to someone. That being the case, you should look carefully at the numbers before making a Roth conversion. Yes the funds from the Roth are tax free when withdrawn, but you will have a big tax hit up front and it takes a long time to earn that back. The tax hit once you stop earning money will be much lower - assuming you take funds out over a period of 10 or 20 years.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us