The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-agree-with-watty56-why-would-anyone-want-to-28945372.aspx

Subject:  Re: IRA for post 65 yr olds Date:  12/9/2010  10:33 AM
Author:  RetiredVermonter Number:  67820 of 75335

I agree with Watty56! WHY would anyone want to yank all their money out of their IRA -- unless they were desperate?

IF you are older than 59-1/2, a lot depends on your total income when you figure taxes on withdrawals.

I love my IRA. I buy and sell stocks within it, and Fidelity only charges me $7.95 commission on each sale or purchase, and there is NO TAX of any kind as long as it stays in there! If I were smart (or lucky) enough to make a million dollars in that IRA, I'd pay ZERO taxes until or unless I withdrew it.

There are NO fees charged for withdrawing money from my IRA because I am older than 59-1/2. If or when I pull some money out (as I do now and then, and have it moved overnight into my checking account), I may or may not pay any taxes on it at the end of the year, depending on my overall income!

I can tell you that last year I took more than $10,000 out of there, because of some unusual expenses, had NO taxes withheld when I did so, and we ended up paying only about $130 federal tax and $35 state taxes total for the year for both of us! Sure beats capital gains taxes on money I might have been investing OUTSIDE of the IRA!

Vermonter
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us