The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/fnb-on-the-way-to-fire-but-have-a-long-way-to-go-28948607.aspx

Subject:  Re: Lost Decade Recap Date:  12/10/2010  11:52 AM
Author:  decath Number:  4914 of 5068

FNB
On the way to FIRE, but have a long way to go. DW and I are hoping to downsize a bit and hopefully move overseas for a few years before moving back to the States and "settling down." -Will see how that goes.

FoolNBlue

Thanks for the responses from everyone so far.

On a related comment FNB's above, one option DW and I are considering is to do the following just before FIRE:

In the IT business, it seems like every 5 or 6 years, something happens with my job situation and I either leave my job on purpose or am laid-off. It always seems to happen unexpectedly.

So if the same occurs as I'm a few years out from FIRE'ing, I'll consider doing contract software development for short term assignments around the country wherever the pay is the highest and near areas I would consider moving.

Sell our home in TX; buy an RV and travel to the assignments and live in it; live cheaply, sock mega bucks into the FIRE assets, hopefully well above 50% a year; keep the house proceeds in a safe investment until we find the place to build ourretirement home.

In 2 1/2 years, the youngest will be in college so that option opens up at that point in time.

decath
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us