The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/greetings-i-stumbled-across-this-board-from-the-28978319.aspx

Subject:  Re: Choosing Simplicity - book Date:  12/22/2010  8:17 PM
Author:  hachmujt Number:  4930 of 5069

Greetings,

I stumbled across this board from the creators recent post on SA boards.

My name is Jason and I am a FIRE wannabe.

I thought I would put a word in for Vikki Robins and Joe Dominguez's (spelling going from memory here) "Your Money or Your Life."

This book changed my life and gave me the FIRE. Importantly it has a new ending and is recently updated. You can not only invest in 30 year treasuries as the author suggested in the earlier copies.

It was good to re read and we implemented one of the exercises we had never done. The Financial Independent chart. Up on our office wall we graph (old school) over time how much money we spend verses how much our investments will pay at a 4% draw per month. When the two lines cross we have achived FI or as you say FIRE! It is a good motivator to see the gap between the lines and think "I have to save more and spend less."

I have a more detailed FI story I can post but I am a little cautious of the public boards.

Thanks,

Jason
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us