The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/its-hard-to-answer-this-i-didnt-sell-anything-28984155.aspx

Subject:  Re: Poll: Did your 401k recover from the 2008 de Date:  12/27/2010  8:56 AM
Author:  ResNullius Number:  67945 of 75794

It's hard to answer this. I didn't sell anything on the way down. As the market started to come go back up, I started selling some equity funds in favor of increasing my fixed/bond fund allocation. I kept this up each time the market recovered another 10% or so. At the start of the market drop, I was 70% equity. I'm now 69% fixed. Along the way I booked some cap loses on the sale of equity funds, and I have a carry forward cap loss of of around $130K. Until I stopped all working for income in June of this year, I had deposited some new money, plus seen gains in the bond funds. As I sit here today, I'm ahead of where I was at the market top, but just by a little, plus I have a $130K cap loss carry forward. I'm much more comfortable with my asset allocation now, since it's much more conservative. My bond fund holdings are at the short and intermediate end.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us