The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/jafo31-you-are-correct-that-i-didnt-separate-out-28985394.aspx

Subject:  Re: Poll: Did your 401k recover from the 2008 de Date:  12/27/2010  6:21 PM
Author:  madbrain Number:  67964 of 75381

JAFO31,

You are correct that I didn't separate out the earnings on 2009 and 2010 personal and matching contributions. If I made zero additional contributions in those two years, the return would have been lower, and I wouldn't be as close to recovery. I can estimate that by assuming the same rate of return and deducting the contributions. Something to add to my spreasheet later on.

In the later part of 2010, I made a lot of contributions to money market account that have basically no return. This is the case for a good chunk of the after-tax 401k contributions. That is partly because I intend to roll them over to a Roth IRA next year, and I want to minimize the taxes at the time I do the rollover. It's actually better to have low/no earnings on them. My employer lets me do 1 or 2 annual in service withdrawals for the after-tax contributions. The other reason is because I was very invested nearly 100% in equities and it's not a bad thing to have a few % of my assets less at risk.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us