The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/madbrain-i-can-tell-you-for-a-certainty-that-28985465.aspx

Subject:  Re: Poll: Did your 401k recover from the 2008 de Date:  12/27/2010  7:07 PM
Author:  JCMcCarter Number:  67970 of 74759

Madbrain,

I can tell you for a certainty that between 12/31/2007 and 12/26/2010 my overall portfolio has grown 1.44% without contributing to the accounts. I retired on 12/31/2007 so I have not have any income to contribute to my 401k(s) and IRA(s).

The bummer is that I can't tell you how I did it as Quicken will not generated "Allocation Reports" for me for any previous dates. (I just found this out and can't say that I'm happy about it.) Also, I generated some previous end of year reports out of Quicken, but didn't choose to print out the (then) current allocation. (Again, bummer!)

But I can tell you that in 12/31/07 that I held 47% in Fixed Income, 5% in Cash, 47% in Mutual Funds and 1% in Equities. So I can also say that I was managing the Fixed Income portion while Mutual Fund Managers were handling a 47% share. I took a 19% loss on my portofolio at the low point during the period.

I have done some asset reallocation in the last 3 years but nothing major. I stuck with some of the better Mutual Funds and moved money out of some underperformers. I am now managing about 10% of my portofio in MDP which also means that I now have slightly more dedicated to individual equities than I did on 12/31/2007. But again, my diversification hasn't changed much. (All the Mutual Funds that I canned had most of there investments in stocks.)

So I guess all this says that spreading your assets among various investment types is a very good thing, especially as you approach and enter retirement. I know that it helps me sleep at night.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us