The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ocd-i-worte-my-only-regret-is-that-loosing-my-28987413.aspx

Subject:  Re: Poll: Did your 401k recover from the 2008 de Date:  12/28/2010  3:51 PM
Author:  joelcorley Number:  67997 of 75539

OCD,

I worte, My only regret is that loosing my employer in 2008 made me irrationally conservative about hording cash. [E-fund has risen to about 18 months of expenses, which even I would admit seems kind of silly.] Had I deployed most of that cash instead of hording it, I could have shaved a couple of years off my retirement target.

After I posted I realized this statement might seem to conflict my previous statements.

During the past year I sold my house and reduced my expenses somewhat. The horded cash is mostly from the proceeds of that sale - I've continued to max-out my available retirement contributions and have even made a number of taxable account purchases - mostly from excess income... I've mainly been reluctant to invest most of that cash from the home sale, even though I know I should. Had I simply put the money into the investment options I was researching at the time, I'd be a lot better off (like a 50% gain).

- Joel
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us