The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Computers, Phones & Internet / Mastering Microsoft Money

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/vanguard-admiral-share-conversions-28989967.aspx

Subject:  Vanguard Admiral share conversions Date:  12/29/2010  4:24 PM
Author:  VikingErik Number:  1868 of 1874

Hi, not much activity here lately.

So Vanguard has converted some of my funds into Admiral shares. These have a separate ticker symbol and pricing from the previous regular shares. After doing a transaction download from Vanguard, these conversions show as "remove shares" for the old investments and "add shares" for the new. This wreaks havoc with performance reporting, as Money thinks the old investments incurred 100% loss, and it has no cost basis for the Admiral shares so the entire value shows as gain.

Any advice on how to get Money (2004, but I could update if a newer version handles this better) to recognize this conversion as a single continuous investment?

At the very least, I could change the add/remove shares transactions to sells and buys. Money would think I captured the gains and bought new securities, which isn't optimal, but not unacceptable since I don't use Money for tax purposes and at least the overall account performance would report correctly.

- Erik
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us